9.03.2004

OK prepare to be depressed. I'm not sure I sould even be writing about this but here goes. I was at an open house type event for a major defense contractor. No classified information was on display, just your run of the mill carnival type kiosks except for one booth. I was leaving and noticed out of the corner of my eye what looked like a bomb going off in a city on their big LCD display. I stopped, turned around and went back to ask the guy what this was all about. He said that it was a demonstration of explosions, stuff they couldn't do in real life any more since nuclear weapons testing was banned. He had a very high resolution 3D map of what looked like a major city. on one of the streets, a virtual bomb went off. I've seen a bunch of documentaries on this stuff, Blinding Horizon, Trinity and Beyond, etc. and what I saw in this booth was scarier than anything in those documentaries. I know a lot about this stuff, it always interested me so I was able to hold a fairly intelligent conversation with the guy. He said they run the simulations at Sandia National Labs which didn't surprise me, they have some of the biggest super computers know to man. Looking at the explosion on the screen just tearing apart buildings in a huge radius, I knew it wasn't a truck bomb I was looking at so I asked the guy if I was looking at a nuclear bomb. A one kiloton a-bomb is the equivalent one thousand tons of TNT. He said that it was a ten kiloton bomb that I was looking at in the simulation.

Now here's where it gets weird. George Will is probably my favorite writer, he's the only reason I read newsweeek. I was reading one of his articles and it struck me...
"In December 1994, Czech police seized more than eight pounds of HEU in a parked car on a side street. A senior al Qaeda aide's proclaimed goal of killing 4 million Americans would require 1,400 9/11s, or one 10-kiloton nuclear explosion — from a softball-sized lump of fissionable material — in four large American cities...In 1993, U.S. officials used ordinary bolt cutters to snip off the padlock that was the only security at an abandoned Soviet-era facility containing enough HEU for 20 nuclear weapons."

HEU is highly enriched Uranium. The guts of one of these bombs. So what I was looking at was a 3D, birds eye view of the most likely scenario of what's likely going to happen over here in the next few years. Reading Foreign Affairs isn't helping my nerves either because most of the people that write about this stuff are convinced that this is inevitable. Even the articles that claim to explain how to prevent it debate how we should respond and what the world will look like afterward.

I wish I knew what city I was looking at in the simulation. It didn't look like San Diego which is kind of nice I guess.
There is an equation used to predict the existance of life on other planets. One of the major factors that decreases the odds is a variable for the likelyhood of a civilization blowing itself to pieces with nuclear bombs.

It makes me wish I hadn't seen that simulation. Ignorace is bliss right? Sorry for ruining your day.

UPDATE: Lockheed Martin just visited my blog. Now it's sorta scary because they've never visited and now I post about defense contractors and here they are. The weird bit is that my post was today and Google hasn't updated yet so how the hell would they know to come check it out?

7 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Person said...

The first plane was invented almost 100 years ago. People have hated us for decades, why did they wait until 2001 before attacking the WTC? I hate to say it but I think they're capable of it but are waiting for the right time. Right before people vote on Bush based on his ability to protect the homeland would be a logical bet. Look what happened in Spain after the trains were bombed.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Loki said...

oh great...today i stubbed my toe on the bathroom door and now this. cheers. Hang on a minute...I live in the UK! We're never gonna get get bombed because there's absolutely no connection between our Government and yours...

Things are looking up.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Person said...

Loki, are you dense? Tony Blair sent troops to Iraq to support America.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Person said...

You're right, you have to play the odds. But if you can get enough Uranium to make 20 nukes with only a bolt cutter and a map you found on the Internet, I think it's a good bet that the stuff is out there. You can bet on anything, life on mars, baseball, etc.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Person said...

Well that's easy "The president is living in 1983, when Ronald Reagan proposed missile defenses to counter thousands of Soviet ICBMs. A nuclear weapon is much less likely to come to America on a rogue nation's ICBM — which would have a return address — than in a shipping container, truck, suitcase, backpack or other ubiquitous things. So allocating vast amounts of scarce financial and scientific resources to missile defenses rather than other security measures is imprudent."

I'm quoting George Will again there. Here's the article http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2764503

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Tumescent liposuction san francisco Adult toys santa rosa ca Shareware for small business management homemade vintage maternity dresses big cock black guys pics Big dick s http://www.amateur-6.info/Atomic-model-by-j-j-thompson.html

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! ferrari 599gtb fiorano Price of teen car insurance with farmers insurance educational lottery number sc winning Scrabble lincence code implementation security library classes operating system Cell phone plans comparisons family plans Oliver heating

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home