5.24.2004

I've had a couple of therapists in my life, none of them succeeded in meeting my stringent requirements of delivering eternal bliss. My main question for them was "am I normal?" My problem is that I try to have intellectual pissing contests with them. So now I'm burying myself in a mountain of movies. I'm considering upgrading my Netflix account to the next level. I watched Y tu Mama Tambien yesterday. According to my theory, because it got good reviews it mustn't have had a happy ending. My theory was correct! It was a good movie though. Funny and real including some America bashing. That movie made me want to move to Mexico.

I'm beginning to wonder what I want to do for a living. I work for a Fortune 500 company and make decent money for someone my age and have my own office with a 20'' LCD monitor... but I find myself writing and reading non work related things to entertain myself when I get home. I don't doubt that I could make a decent chunk of change in business but I'm worried that I'll become trapped in the vicious cycle of workoholism. I'd like to retire young and sleep in forever, buy a bunch of really expensive types of booze and actually be able to tell them apart. Would that mean sacrificing my youth? Is that an incredibly selfish wish?

My character in the book is going to need a small group of odd friends. That and a neurotic love interest.

Here are the movies I've watched in May:
Casablanca,
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie,
Chinatown,
Matchstick Men,
Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy: The New Rules of the Game,
Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy: The Agony of Reform,
Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy: The Battle of Ideas,
Big Fish,
Bloody Sunday,
The French Connection,
Life and Debt,
The Billabong Odyssey,
Y Tu Mama Tambien

That works out to about $2 a movie which is fine with me considering it's almost $5 + late fees at BallBusters.