7.30.2004

Saw this chair on another blog and had to have the picture on mine...

A blessing and a curse: my brain doesn't stop working even if I really want it to. That's the main reason I'm a fan but not a practitioner of Eastern religions. I tried meditation when I was a kid, after a while I got these weird sensations like I was grabbing an electric fence combined with a weird surge of egomania and goosebumps. Kind of cool but I was worried about damaging some circuitry.

Later in life after rejecting Christianity I bought a book on Budhissm. The fact that nobody ends up in the firey depths of hell for all eternity somehow appealed to me. You're told to focus on clearing your mind of all thoughts. I couldn't get the image of pink elephants out of my head. The fact that I have ADD didn't help either.

I started measuring stats on this blog a week or so ago and I've got a few readers. A lot more people read the developer diary for my driving game project, 6000+ so far. It's sorta weird to think that that many people are interested in something I'm working on. I'm usually really hard on myself. Not quite sure why but probably becuase of my unaffected upbringing. Anyhooo, I had my weird little hobby, driving simulators, that I was totally obsessed with. It's been said that driving a car very fast is one of the most difficult things to do. That and hitting a fastball. I think I like a challenge because I race my car and can hit a fastball. Anybody sensing my ADD? OK so I started out idolizing these magical people who could with their godlike coding abilities and limitless imaginations recreate and simulate reality. The fact that they were simulating fast cars was what really sealed the deal for me. My former idols are now offering me advice and assistance with my current project, I get to work with people from all over the world which is giving me great perspective on what exactly I am as an American. Software is the first thing to benefit from the collaborative process made possible by the Internet. We software geeks know how to setup Subversion repositories and chat rooms and discussion boards so it makes sense that we'd be the first to take advantage of the net for purposes other than just simple email and web browsing.

So I drove the simulators because I couldn't afford to wreck real cars, I got really good at it too. I also built up relationships in my virtual racer buddy world. I can travel through Europe right now and I'd know people in just about every country. Eventually I wrote some articles for the websites that cover simulated racing software and was even invited to help test some of the software. I've raced real life racing drivers and watched them on Speed TV racing million dollar cars just days later. It's a very unique virtual world, lots of very intelligent people and even real race car drivers show up to the online races to compete with us mere mortals.

I'm usually really good at things I'm passionate about. I'm passionate about Linux, OpenSource software. The Utilitarian in me constantly reminds me about standards of living. I think that's why I have a love for Open Source ideals, globalism, freedom of information, etc. I get glimpses of what could be. I don't want to get old but I hate not living in the future.



16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

website design bathurst I found your site looking for web site design and thought I'd just say Hi.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love car show schedule then you will want to be there! All kinds of car show schedule will be in attendance. For more information go to car show schedule
See Ya There!!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, you have a Terrific blog here! Lots of content means more readers, more readers means more Sales!
I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a how to make my computer run faster for freehow to make my computer run faster for free site/blog. It pretty much covers how to make my computer run faster for free related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time We are just a Click Away ! :-)

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started a volkswagen golf forum blog

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan so youmight like akc boston terrier

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Kirk, there's a lot of stuff around on the internet, and I was looking for s when I saw your blog. Neat and interesting. Refreshing, too. I'm a bit of a hot car fanatic - have been for years - so I write and research about mostly. Good blogging!

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helelo Kirk, Hmmm, that's an unusual blog. Found it when searching for fast cars. I'm mad about fast cars but found yours a good one. All the best, R

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,

Your opinion is worth noting, thank you.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk, That's an interesting blog you do there. I found it when I was looking for fast cars and freedom, but found your blog worth reading. Thanks. I'm really a nut for fast cars and freedom, but see you around. Rex

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,

Love the fun blog, came across it while having a break. Ta.

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,

Awesome post!

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kirk,

Your this post post caught my attention while I was doing some research on children adhd.

I am currently in the process of creating a holistic treatment program for adhd. The idea is to integrate various treatment modalities so that anyone can benefit.

Would you care to share some of the secrets that you have gleaned from adhd.

My subscribers would certainly appreciate any insight that you have to offer.

Thank you for your post, it was a good read.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest regards,
Hoe Bing

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk, That's an interesting blog you do there. I found it when I was looking for Very Fast Cars, but found your blog worth reading. Thanks. I'm really a nut for Very Fast Cars, but see you around. Rex

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You nail it to the wall. Great blog. Just tag it in my favorites. Cheers.

reading speed

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following Nascar Blog, it is cool to!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following cars Blog, it is cool to!

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home