11.17.2004

My Big Expensive Toy

If, like me, you have an inexplicable fascination with blinking lights, you can imagine the joy of working at my job. The photo to the right is my Dell rack with somwhere near 20Ghz of processing power at my fingertips. The white thing on top is a wireless access point, we put a hole in the roof and erected a big antenna and broadcast out free Internet access.

But it doesn't stop there. When I come home from work I fiddle with even more wires and buttons and shiny metal objects. I even do side jobs wiring together people's computers and home theater systems. I'm also a racing fanatic, not the NASCAR dad type though. There is something appealing to me about being in a position where there are major consequences for a mistake. It's a way of motivating myself and focusing. For instance, if I procrastinate at work it's a game of finding my limits. How long will it really take me to code this thing. Racing is about finding the limits of your car and your ability. Driving ability is based on reflexes but also on a knowledge of the car, anticipation. It absolutely saturates the senses like few things do. Even skydiving is a fairly thoughtless endeavour in comparison. So I'm taking the things I love and fusing them together. The driving simulator I'm working on draws on my knowledge from software, networking, home theater installs and cars. We're currently having a debate about the best way to optimize online racing. Here is some of the chat log in case you're wondering how games are made.

"

Kirkwe take different lines through turns but they're just about the same in terms of lap times

STenyaKor we can store the car format in a spacially special way, so that the car rolls out of the truck, with a side-view of it, as the mesh is loaded ;)

KirkHey, we can use haba's wireframe mode

Kirklike the ghost car in rbr

Hesonprogressive mesh, you start the race against a couplöe of shoe boxes and finish against super nice cars...

KirkI was thinking we should have a bandwidth LOD for online racing. You send more position data to the closest cars

STenyaKhmm nice idea

Hesoniteresting

STenyaKpossibly relative to distance and camera view angle

STenyaKcan't remember the technical name

STenyaKFOV

Hesonand more detailed(heavier) prediction on close cars, its not so important if the far cars warp etc.

STenyaKyeah. that's a really good idea, i like it :)

STenyaKmaybe we can extend it to other sytems..

STenyaKlike... err.. well, there isn't much left.AI and sound

STenyaKwe can also compress data of "groups of cars" and send just one position (for packs semi-distant cars in nascar for example)

HesonWhen trying to sleep yesterday I got an idea for a first generation online support for motrosport.

Hesonjust connect to irc and send coordinates to the chat

KirkNow there's an interesting proposition

STenyaKhow many commands would be needed for that?

STenyaKjoin - send messages - quit ?

STenyaKi don't know the irc protocol very well

Hesonnot much more

STenyaKdoes it use compression?

STenyaK(irc

Hesonno compression in irc

Hesonbut we can implement some if we need to send lots of data

STenyaKposition: 32x3, rotation 32x4

STenyaK(or 64 bits each

STenyaK224 bytes per car for upload

STenyaKplus synchronization

Hesonfor a first generation, that might look like the rbr one its enough

Hesonand we can extend it and test concepts,

STenyaKhmm what latency is there in irc, average?

STenyaKi mean, the added latency

Hesonwhen we need to lower latency we keep irc for lobby and move the rest to direct connections

Hesonthe added latency is abut doubled, i think.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about money making business from home. I also have a Blog/Website about money making business from home which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need some fantasy baseball player then take a look.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on business long distance service
business long distance service

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surfing Google or MSN, bookmarked your blog, and just came back. Nice job. I had been in search of car loan sacramento, but found your site. Just thought I'd post. Thanks.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your blogs content. Gotta run.
car loan company

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me post, I have come by in search of information. I was told that blogs have some of the best and most relevent information for any given subject. Mine happens to be a horse racing video game gift website that has anything from jewelry to horse art. So I am looking for new products and information based on horse racing video game to offer my customers and possibly some good marketing ideas for my website.
I won't steal your content but just looking for good ideas.

Websites that I have and all the work involved in keeping several of them going and updating blogs I am at best posting once a month.

I have enjoyed your blog and am thankfull to be able to sort of pick your brain without actually bothering you.

Blogs stand out because a lot of them people don't try and sale so much as to write about things that they enjoy or what they like to do.

Most of which comes out in there writing.

We want to grow and build my website to be the best and know I have much to learn, and fix to even come close.

We have been online for less then a year now, so yes we are very young.


I hope you come by to visit. I am not trying to sale you anything but would love to here if you have any ideas.

Thank you.
horse racing video game

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area horse supply for sale . So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year. We hope to soon start a new site for horse adoption and rescue. Hopefully in the spring.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

horse supply for sale

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area horse video game . I have done the internet MLM thing and really got disgusted at the whole thing. So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

horse video game

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there blog owner! I am searching blogs to find information and sources to help with my website:http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/horse_games.html My site is fairly new about 8 months old and have a google pr of 3 and get about 50 people a day to visit. My site has farm horse supply and is all affiliate merchandise.
This is a new frontier for my wife and I and don't have very much experience but a friend suggested searching blogs to get ideas about how people sale and also what kind of information they offer their customers and clients. We are begining to make some good money selling farm horse supply related articles but I also want to offer my customers some quality information to go along with good deals. If you make it to my site and can offer some constructive critisizm I will take it into consideration or if you have some ideas it will be greatly appreciated. Remember we are on a budget and we do all the work ourselves.

Best Regards,

farm horse supply

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Kirk. I was searching for information on home theater reviews and came across your post My Big Expensive Toy - not quite what I was looking for related to home theater reviews but very interesting all the same!

If you have a moment, why not hop over and take a look at my report on home theaters.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some great info here! Red Mustang

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy tramadol without prescriptions tramadol hcl 50mg dosage for dogs - us tramadol online pharmacy

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home